Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Day

I did have an American Thanksgiving here in Germany! Although my classes weren't cancelled, I was invited for a meal at Pastor Flohr's apartment- he's the pastor of the English church in Frankfurt, Trinity. It was a great meal with all the traditional fixings. The turkey was moist and delicious- both the dark and white meat; there was stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, German bread (which is much better than American bread, a suitable change to this meal), gravy, and AMERICAN FOOTBALL. As every American knows, a Thanksgiving isn't complete without football, so we let our food digest while watching the Lions' game. And then, for dessert, we had our choice of apple pie, pumpkin pie, or chocolate chip bars (there was enough to get a taste of all three)- plus they gave me half of the apple pie and some of the bars to take back! This, of course, was graciously shared with the German students who had happened to gather outside of the dorm for beer and smoking. They all agreed that the apple pie was " sehr lecker"- very delicious. So we all got a taste of an American Thanksgiving Day in one way or another.

Then, this past Saturday, I was invited to Trinity's Thanksgiving potluck, since most of the American's couldn't get off work on Thursday to celebrate. I was a bit late, but there was enough left for me to get a plate of food and some dessert. I didn't bring anything back with me, though, which is all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment