Friday, September 28, 2012

The Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche and the Tiergarten

On Tuesday I visited the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, south of Berlin Mitte. Although it was an extremely beautiful and large church, bombs during WWII reduced it to rubble. Another church was built nearby to serve the needs of the congregation; the inside is covered in blue glass, though I didn't particularly like the modern style.


There was a part of the original church that was left standing, but it was covered in scaffolding. You can see the before and after pics here, before WWII, after WWII, after the scaffolding:


The murals inside were absolutely gorgeous. I think they were spared from the bombing and the fires, though they were also restored later.




Finally, I took a stroll through the Tiergarten. It was a beautiful day to so, and I thoroughly enjoyed the change in climate. It's amazing how one can step from the hustle and bustle of the exhaust-filled streets into a oxygenated paradise of trees, bushes, grass, and sunlight. The temperature cooled by about 10 degrees Fahrenheit, but it was quite welcome, even on a brisk late summer day. I can't post all my pictures here, but here are a few.

"The Greater Path"- the main path through the southern part of the Tiergarten.

 A very beautiful place where I ate my lunch.


The hunter urges on his hounds.

And he rejoices over the fox.




The Tiergarten was actually made in order to provide the King of Prussia with close hunting grounds. It was stocked with deer, foxes, and other game. Yes, animals are welcome there now, but that's not why it was called the "Animal Garden."


1 comment: