Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Brandenburg Gate, Soviet Memorial, Victory Tower, and Goethe Institut

Well, this post has been overdue, especially since I've lost the entire thing twice. Both were on my iPad, and I think the post was too large for the app to handle. 14 pictures isn't too much, is it? Anyway, now I'm using my reliable computer (PC), praying nothing happens to it in the next hour.

So last Tuesday, I decided to visit the Brandenburg Gate area and eat my lunch there. I arrived and was utterly astounded by what I saw. The number of tourists and their behavior was appalling! Most were high school or college students just fooling around, taking pictures with the many people dressed up in various costumes, from two Darth Vader to a German Mickey Mouse. It was obvious that no one was paying attention to the Brandenburg Gate or even caring about its history or significance. I only took two pictures quickly before any gypsies or beggars could accost me.



See the Iron Cross on the standard? That was added after the Germans got the Quadriga (the four-horsed chariot) back from France, who had stolen it when Napoleon stormed through Prussia, triumphantly walking through the Brandenburg Gate after his conquer of Berlin. In typical German style, having won it back, they decorated the Brandenburg Gate, put the Quadriga back up on top, and partied. The Brandenburg Gate wasn't damaged much in WWII, but it was restored in 2000. It was pretty much ignored by the DDR, who put up the wall on the wrong side of the Gate, blocking it from West Germany. It became the place of celebration when the wall came down.

Next, I went to the Soviet Memorial. The Soviets put it up right after WWII in memorial of the 80,000 Soviet soldiers who died taking Berlin. A few thousand are buried nearby.





 While I was there, I looked down the street and noticed something golden, so I decided to check it out. It was about a mile away, but it took awhile with a short trip through the Tiergarten, which was very beautiful. It turned out to be the Siegessäule, or the Victory Column, which Prussia put up after defeating first Denmark, then Austria and France. (Good time to be Prussian, huh?)









Inside was a small museum that had information and models of towers and monuments from around Germany, then Europe, then the world. It was quite interesting and unexpected.





I kinda ran out of time, because it was already 12:30, and I needed to be at Goethe by about 1 to see where I got placed based on my test. To get there, I had to go 1.3 miles (again stopping by the Tiergarten) to the train station, where I had to get on a train only to get off at the next station to switch trains, going again one stop before getting off and running to Goethe. After checking my placement and where my room was, I slinked into the room a bit late, just in time for the students to introduce themselves to everyone. I justify myself, though, that I wasn't the last person to show up. Shame on that person. Yeah...

<A distraction attempt, using a picture from the Tiergarten>


Back on topic, I quickly found out that the class was easier than I had expected, probably as a result of the writing portion of my test, which I didn't do well on. Anyway, I asked the teacher to advance to the next level, so after the next class day on Wednesday, she moved me up a bit. I like my new class and teacher, and I can tell that it is a bit harder, though that is a good thing. I don't feel like I'm a 5th grader in a 2nd grade class anymore. I still feel like a 5th grader in German, though. I've got a lot of learning and practice to do, but I'm looking forward to another three weeks.

My teacher loaded us down with homework, which I'll have to do on the train, because tomorrow (actually today, by the looks of it) the Müllers and I are going somewhere. I can't remember the name of it, but Benjamin said it was a small town that didn't have much. We're going to visit Eisenach and the Wartburg Castle on Sunday, so I'll have some pictures and stories to share on Monday.

Until then!




















1 comment:

  1. A lovely piece of history in amongs all the new developments of that area.

    Gate Towers

    ReplyDelete